|
Carbeth House, Killearn Drumtian Road G63 9QB
|
![]() Carbeth - Castle of the Birches About a mile to the north of Killearn, and standing above the River Endrick is the house of Carbeth. An 18th century B listed country mansion house in an idyllic position in the beautiful Scottish countryside overlooked by Dumgoyne and the Campsie Fells. In 1225 Alexander II confirmed a charter by Maol Domhnaich, Earl of Lennox, to Simon, son of Robert Croc, of the lands of Brengrochane, Kymonedhane and Gartbethe (Balgrochan, Kilmannan and Carbeth). In 1476 the family of Buchanan acquired the land of Carbeth and would build Carbeth tower house. In the 1600's a new house was built, possibly incorporating part of the earlier tower. Then in 1840 the Buchanan's added a large section to the building before it was sold in 1873 to Mr. Forester and a short time later Carbeth House was purchased in 1879 by Mr. Wilson, a Glasgow cotton merchant who made substantial changes, further remodeling the large country house, the date 1879 is displayed over the porch of the most recent part that was built. It remained with the Wilson family until 1979 when another Mr. Wilson (unrelated) took ownership and developed the building into 9 individual dwellings in early 1980's. Today in shared ownership overseen by the Carbeth House Owners Association the house consists of 8 spacious luxury apartments many retaining original details and character features of days gone by. Drumtian road leads from Killearn to the north a little to the west of Carbeth House, and crosses the Endrick by a ford and footbridge. A small part of Killearn parish outlays here to the north of the River Endrick. Adjoining the village of Killearn, on the estate of Carbeth, is the farm of Blairessen. Tradition says that a battle was fought here between the Romans and Caledonians near the Spout of Blairessen. Today's confrontations are far more civilised, discussed during frequent meetings of the Carbeth House Owners Association in the Old Mill or around a BBQ on a lazy summers eve'! Some historic images below believed to be from around 1978 before the conversion to multiple apartments by Mr. Wilson in 1980. |
Home History Gallery Contact |
Website donated by M.H 2024